Saturday, June 8, 2013

Always Beginning

Even though the growing season here in Philly is almost half over, I've decided the time has come to start sharing some of my garden experiences. This year's mistakes and success will influence next years dreams and plans. A garden is a different thing every day: new blooms, dead blossoms, seeds developing, plants needing deadheading, new bugs, new pest predators-the list could be endless. The newness is what keeps me gardening.

I love the mornings when I can look carefully and discover all the newness in my gardens on that particular day. Hopefully you will enjoy them too.
 The East Coast has just been visited by the first named Tropical Storm of the season. Thankfully, the close to three inches of rain we received here fell in moderate doses. While flower heads were falling over from the weight of water clinging to the petals, there was no permanent damage from "Andrea" in our garden. I shook the tall hydrangea which had just begun to bloom before the storm arrived. Cuttings I had taken on Wednesday from a new Lamb's Ear benefited, as well as the plantings I did up on the top roof deck that same morning. Plus, I didn't have to water anywhere this morning ( a rare occurrence during warm weather for us).

Question we frequently hear are about watering. How long does it take? About an hour to an hour and a half each day in the summer. For me, that is all quality time. I get up early enough to beat the heat of the day. I water plants in the order of where the sun reaches first, so that I can be in the shade as much of the time as possible. Usually I start on the top roof deck off of our attic, five stories above the sidewalks. This deck is surrounded by trees, and in the flight pattern of many of our resident birds. There have been times when birds fly right past my ear, disturbing my reverie as I water. Most mornings it's just me and the birds, though I have to fight for occupancy with the squirrels if I get up slightly late. It's the first spot in their domain to receive sun, and they like to bask and play in and in between the plants. Critter Ridder from Havahart Corporation is the most effective deterrent, but it's expensive to keep replenishing especially if you have a large area to protect. I'm going to try a home-made deterrent at some point this summer (I've already used all forms of ground pepper). I'll let you know if it works.

Speaking of watering, even though water drops glistening in the early morning sun might look appealing, it's usually not the best thing for your plants. Plants draw water through their roots, not their leaves. Many plants which get "sprayed" with the hose tend to develop mildew in the hot humid Philadelphia summers. I always try to get the hose as close to the soil surface (whether in pots or in the ground) and avoid wetting the leaves.

The first catalogue for the next garden year arrived this week from Van Engelen. I've purchased mostly Hardy Lillies from them, but also many spring flowering bulbs over the years. I'm already thinking about what new blooms I'd like to see next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment